Each year, Air Conditioner New York spends time answering questions and we want to help our clients out as best we can. So we thought we'd put together a list of taboos for the season. Pitfalls that you need to avoid.
1. Don't try to install your air conditioner on your own. Sorry guys and gals. If you haven't done this before, this is not a good time to experiment. Guys, time to swallow your pride. No need to TRY and impress your lady friend or wife. You can probably install your toilet bowl, but when you want it done right, you call the plumber. A number of our clients have tried to do this on their own and dropped their air conditioners, resulting in damaged units. You'll feel better about your ego when you're laying in a COOL apartment.
2. Don't remove your air conditioner. See that AC that has been in the window for the past few months or since you moved into your apartment? Ready to move it and get a new one? What you don't know is that the person who installed it before you did it incorrectly, he used wood, glue, bum, tar, cotton, cheese, rubber cement and everything else that he was not suppose to use. You're trying to remove it and you don't know why. We've see it all. Don't hurt yourself.
3. Don't let "The Super" do it - Your super is a great guy. He can take out the trash and put your heat on. He doesn't know anything about air conditioners. So, when he installs it incorrectly, and gives you what is a bad installation, your unit can leak water back into your apartment or even worse you can wind up with a warped chassis. If your super knew how to install air conditioners, he would NOT be a super. He'd work for us!
4. Don't let the delivery guys do it. If you want to buy your unit from a location in the city, fine. Don't let those guys do it. They're underpaid and under-qualified workers who don't know how to install units properly. Call a professional installer.
5. Don't wait until June. Everyone needs an air conditioner. Just like you need a refrigerator. Don't wait until a heat wave to buy one. During the season, installation prices are higher and it is harder to get an installation.
6. Don't pay to much. Department stores overcharge for air conditioner installs. Your installation should not cost the same amount as your unit. There are occasions where special installs will cost more, but a standard install should not be the same price as your unit!
7. The get scammed in the department stores - Department store cashiers love to make you scared. When you're scared, you buy and their numbers go up. They make their quotas and you wind up with things you don't need. If your building specifies the need for a bracket, then you need one. Otherwise, it isn't mandatory.
8. Don't buy from the small electronics guy on the corner. Mom and Pop stores are good for batteries and such, but if your unit breaks down, you need a vendor who will honor the return.
9. Get a receipt and the name of your installer! Always try to leave the door open when the installer visits and ask for the individuals name.
10. Call us! No one else gives you this kind of advice! We do it because we love you! Remember AIR CONDITIONER NEW YORK!
- About Air Conditioner New York
- New York City - Buy / Purchase Air Conditioner
- CLEAR AIR - PLEXIGLASS
- Contact Info
- Air Conditioner Installation Tips
- A/C New York PodCast
- Air Conditioner New York Bracket Local Law 11
- How Does Your Air Conditioner Work?
- Portable Air Conditioners
- Air Conditioner Models
- Where should I purchase my Air Conditioner?
- Aire Acondicionado de Instalación Nueva York
- Installing Mini-Split ACs
- BTUs Explained
- Should I have my AC fixed?
- Should I Buy an Enery Saver?
- PURIFIED AIR
- Sound Proofing an Air Conditioner